16 January 2009

Genealogy. I should be doing it.

Sarah Frances Doron DeWitt

My great-grandmother was a spirit medium. I say that because it sounds more interesting than "fortune teller," which is how my father explained it. The funny story is that after she became a Latter-day Saint in 1912 she would dress up for the ward carnivals, but she wouldn't use her crystal ball, because it really worked, and she deferred to the priesthood. I have no idea whether this story is true. The other story is that two years after her only son died at age 35, his widow (my Grandma Louise) came to Sarah for advice about whether to accept a proposal of marriage from an upright widower farmer who had promised to help raise the boys. The advice was apparently had through reading tea leaves. This sounds a little bit fishy to me.
I mean, two nice Mormon ladies. Where did they get the TEA?
Here's a photo of Great-Grandma Sarah. Kinda looks like me.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen this picture. I had no idea that my great-great-grandmother was a gypsy! Wasn't she in the last unicorn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly. Because what's really weird is that she (drum roll) has NO RECORDED DEATH DATE!

    Seriously, though, I do need to check with Aunt Marian on a couple of details about Grandma Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Trent Sutton and all I have to say is that was a delightful bit of reading this evening. I can always count on the Thayers for a bit of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trent! How nice to hear from you! I was just telling someone today of that odd moment in the JRCLS library when I said to you, "When you're our age ...", and it took me a moment to figure out why you found that so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know she's not my granny nor my medium, but I'm putting her picture on my desktop because she is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geo ... Sarah and I are honored. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete